I know it’s been a while since I posted an update, and that’s entirely accidental. I didn’t mean to fall off the map with these updates, to say the least. I’ve kept my YouTube channel up to date with it all, but outside of that, I just never opened up my blog to type anything out.
So, in this post, instead of going through one edit like I normally do, I’ll be going through everything I’ve done since the last update, which covered edit number five of ‘It Starts With Goodbye’.
With that being said, let’s dive into edit number six.
On October 5th, I began edit six of ‘It Starts With Goodbye’. Edit six was a Grammarly edit, where I just copy and paste the chapters into Grammarly, scroll through the corrections that it has picked out, and I choose the ones that are needed and disregard the rest. This edit usually goes by pretty quickly, and on day one, I edited the first 6,454 words of the book.
On October 11th, I finished edit number six. I finished this edit with 45,712 words, so I ended up cutting a whopping three words from this draft. Most of those were repeated words, like two ‘the’s that I missed in the previous edits.
On October 18th, I began edit number seven of ‘It Starts With Goodbye’. This was actually two days behind my planned schedule, simply because I just forgot that I had wanted to start the next edit on the 16th.
Edit number seven was a Google Translate edit. Generally, I paste chapters into Translate and use the speak function to have the text read back to me. It’s a way to allow the ear to pick out mistakes that the eyes have already scanned over and missed. This time around, I went ahead and emailed the chapters to myself so I could have the text to speech function on my iPad read the text to me instead. Her voice seemed to be a bit less grating on my ears than Translate. I’ve never had that problem before, and I’m still not sure if it was Translate not agreeing with my tablet or not agreeing with my earbuds.
Either way, if you use this method of editing, just find a voice that doesn’t annoy you to listen to! You want to be able to listen to everything without getting bored or annoyed enough to walk away or tune it out.
On day one, I only managed to get through the first 2,944 words of the book. At the time, I was still trying to suffer through Translate’s voice.
By the end of October 25th, I finished edit number seven with an additional 62 words, bringing my total back to 45,774 words. Some things just don’t sound as normal when read aloud, both in speech and description. I added words here and there to fix that and bring things back to a state of normality.
Although I’m done with edit number eight, I’ll save info on that for when I have the ‘completing edit number eight’ video edited for YouTube, since it or the video afterward will have footage of the annoying cover making process on KDP.
So for now, that’s all I have! I’m sorry for the long delay of getting info out here on my blog, but I should have a new update as soon as the next video (or videos, depending) go up.
Finally closing in on the end of this one! I’ll see you guys in the next one.